Tuesday 15 July 2008

Reconsider your inconsiderations.

Two weeks back I received a phone call asking me to attend an audition for an acting role. I had a long chat with the person on the phone; seemed a nice sort, young and excitable as they are. They had seen some previous work of mine, liked it very much and would I be interested in auditioning for the role? Naturally I accepted, they emailed me the script, did some research into the director and previous works, as you do, duly rehearsed lines for the part they wanted reading - you get the picture here.

The audition was a good three hours from where I lived and not practical to drive to, so I hopped on the train and made my way there, went through the audition very well, "many thanks for coming along we will be in touch very soon, you suit the part." So you can imagine my surprise as when I returned home I looked on their website only to find that on that very morning they had posted a message saying that they had already cast the role.

I'm am not annoyed that I didn't get the part after what was said. I am not that fickle. I am however bloody annoyed that I needlessly made a six hour round trip, shelling out over fifty quid to get to the place, when I really need not have gone if someone had just taken thirty seconds out of their life to inform me I was not needed. The more I think of it the more I am in belief that they completely forgot I was coming along. I did wonder why they were so aloof. As it also happened, I had to pass up on an opportunity for another audition on that same day to attend this one.

But this entry is not just about this. I am continually becoming "miffed" at people in general these days, hence why I am becoming a grumpy git and probably why this blog started in the first place. I never used to be this way. I had such a laid back attitude. I would never let things get to me because I guess I didn't want to bring any conflict to the table or upset my 'karma' or whatever it is that shouldn't be upset or messed with.

But as I am becoming older and wiser in my years I find that I am far more susceptible to these things around me and quiet frankly the pig ignorant inconsiderate things that people do, that if they just thought for second, could quiet easily be avoided. From double parking across driveways so you can't get your car in or blocking you in so you have to get a can opener to get your car out, queue jumping, lighting a cigarette in a no smoking zone, barging past you in the street without an apology, telephone sales people who simply hang up when your not interested, people in shops who put your change on the counter despite your hand being held out to receive it, the simplest of human words to say 'please' and 'thank you' - the list is becoming more endless as my days go by and I am left wondering wether in this time of the 'we need everything done by last week and god help you if we don't' society, we are forgetting our fellow beings around us.


But on the flipside of all this, if we speak up about people being inconsiderate and politely inform them of the said inconsideration, we are met with a barrage of abuse or indignation. Is is not enough that not only do you annoy the living hell out of me by doing these things, I then have to put up with your attitude. Maybe it has something to do with the way people are brought up in life, maybe it has something to do with the 'no one else can be bothered why should I' concept that is becoming increasingly popular and used frequently as an excuse.

Maybe I am, after all is said and done, just another grumpy blog writer.
Stumble Upon Toolbar

No comments: